License & Education
- PE, Professional License in Civil Engineering, California (1990).
- DEE, Diplomat of American Academy of Environmental Engineers (2005).
- PhD, (1985), MS(1980) and BS(1979) in Civil/Environmental Engineering.
- MS Degrees:
Aerospace Eng (1981)
Applied Mechanics (1982)
Electrical Eng (1982)
Applied Math (1984)
21 Years with City of Los Angeles
Bureaus of Sanitation and Engineering
Stormwater–Watershed Protection Division
Assistant Div Mgr (3 yrs)
- development of Water Quality Compliance Master Plan;
- TMDL implementation plans; c) green design standards;
- coordination with stakeholders/NGOs;
- consulting contracts.
Wastewater (WW) Maintenance/Hyperion Treatment Plant
WW Sanitation Mgr (3 yrs)
- optimization of asset management (info systems, maintenance planning, maintenance eng, coordination, purchase, warehouse, contract services)
- in-house upgrade and rehabilitation projects (gas handling, cryogenic, primaries)
Wastewater (WW)- Operations/Hyperion Treatment Plant
Eng Mgr (1 yr)
- solids processes
- air pollution control
- applied research.
Wastewater (WW)- Plant Support Services/Applied Research (all plants)
Project Mgr (10 yrs)
- production of EQ biosolids/gas enhancement/risk assessment/high temperature studies
- optimization of O&M for secondary aeration/design & construction of O2 transfer equipment
- separation technologies (MF/RO), UV disinfection, toxicity and foaming studies at TITP; process control & online monitoring at TITP and LAG
- startup of full secondary processes at HTP/investigation of turbidity problems at West Basin Plant
- chemical and biological treatment of odor and VOCs.
Wastewater (WW)- Eng Design And Wastewater Program Mgt Divisions
Project Eng (3 yrs)
- progress assessment of wastewater capital improvement projects
- technical coordination of design/construction
- agencies’ sewer contracts
- Wastewater (WW)- Universities of California (UC Riverside, UC Davis, UCLA, and USC
- Supervision of postdoctoral, graduate, and undergraduate students in engineering and math.
12 Years with USC Dept of Civil Eng. & Applied Mathematics ???Associate Director of Hydraulic Labs
- Assistant Prof, instructor, teaching assistant, and research associate: Taught a wide range of courses in engineering and applied mathematics
- Research Program: Managed laboratories, conducted research and supervised MS and PhD students
2 years with Miller’s Design and Construction Mgt
- Project manager: Lead development, operations & maintenance of single and multi-family dwellings.
- Commissioner on Santa Monica Measure V (stormwater projects)
- Lead of diversified teams (40-60 staff) for different??? projects
- Managed over 200 project reports and 150 publications (including an article in science).
- Managed many presentations in conferences and invited talks.
- Cochair of committees on safety, training (PE/EIT), charitable funds, workshops and seminars.
- Member of engineering and environmental organizations.
- Member of organizing, scientific and management committees for conferences & grant projects.
- Treasurer, vice chair, chair, past chair of Eng. & Research of the CA Water Env. Association.
- Editor for Water Environment Research and on review boards of refereed journals.
- Coauthor of an advanced book on applied probability theory.
- Many team awards and widespread recognition in wastewater industry.
- Life member, American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington DC.
- International Water Association (IWA), London, England
- Water Environment Federation (WEF), Alexandria, VA
- CA Water Environment Association (CWEA), Oakland, CA
- LA Basin Section of CWEA, Los Angeles, CA
- American Water Works Association (AWWA), Denver, CO
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Reston, VA
- American Water Resources Association (AWRA), Middleburg, VA
- Heal the Bay, Santa Monica, CA.
Water Environment Research of the Water Environment Federation (2002-2007)
Organizing / Review / Scientific / Award Committees
Scientific, 12th World Congress – Anaerobic Digestion, IWA and ____, Mexico, 10
Scientific, 11th World Congress – Anaerobic Digestion, IWA and Queensland Univ., Brisbane, Australia, 07
Scientific/awards, 10th World Congress – Anaerobic Digestion, IWA and National Res. Council, Canada, 04
Scientific, 2002 IWA 3rd World Congress & Journals (Water Science & Technology), Australia, 02
Chair, Los Angeles Basin, Wastewater and Reuse Committee (03-05)
Past Chair, CWEA Engineering & Research Committee, 05
Chair, CWEA Engineering & Research Committee, 04
Vice Chair, CWEA Engineering & Research Committee, 02-03
Secretary, CWEA Engineering & Research Committee, 01
Representative of City of LA for West Coast POTW’s R&D Bench Marking, 99-05
Representative of City of LA for the Water Environment Research Foundation, 99-05
Review Boards for Referred Journals
Water Environment Research, WEF, Alexandria, VA
Air Waste Journal, Air and Waste Management Association, Pittsburg, PA
Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Wiley, Indianapolis, IN
Journal of Environmental Eng., ASCE, Reston, VA
Chemosphere, Elsevier, Chevy Chase, MD
Water Research, International Water Association, London, England
Scientia Iranica, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Canadian Journal of Microbiology, National Research Council, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Elsevier, Chevy Chase, MD
Project Management Committees for R&D Foundations
Water Environment Research Foundation (WERF)
Cost-effective energy recovery from anaerobically treated WW solids: Enviromega, Inc., Univ. of Toronto
Membrane treatment of secondary process and use: CDM and Univ. of North Carolina.
Effect of biosolids properties on membrane bioreactors and solids processing: UC Berkeley
Amer. Water Works Research Foundation (AWWRF) / CA Energy Commission (CEC)
Development of energy index to assist in benchmarking of energy mgt. of water and wastewater utilities (03-07)
Roadmap to identify energy efficiency projects in Water and wastewater for funding, Sacramento, CA (03)
American Council for Energy Efficiency Economy (ACEEE)
Roadmap to identify opportunities for energy efficiency in Water and Wastewater (04)
05-06 City of LA Quality and Productivity Award / Rehab & Upgrade of Prim Battery D at HTP
04-05 LA Basin Section Research Achievement Award / Production of EQ Biosolids at HTP
04-05 State CWEA 1st Place Research Award / Production of EQ Biosolids at HTP
03-04 Black & Veatch Gift to AWWA, Water for People, in tribute to my work
02-03 American Metropolitan Sewerage Agency (AMSA) Award, EQ Biosolids at HTP, TITP
02-03 City of LA Quality and Productivity Award / EQ Biosolids at HTP, TITP
02-03 City of LA Productivity Award, Air Waste Emission Removal Biotechnologies at HTP
02-03 Sate CWEA 3rd Place Research Award, Controlling Odor and VOC by Biological Reactors at HTP
02-03 LA Basin Section Research Achievement Award, Controlling Odor and VOC by Biological Reactors
02-03 WESD Shining Star, City of LA Bureau of Sanitation, Overall Performance
01-02 American Metropolitan Sewerage Agency (AMSA) Award, Aeration Performance at TWRP, LAG, TITP
01-02 CWEA 2nd Place Research Award, Online Monitoring and Process Control at LAG
01-02 LA Basin Section Research Achievement Award, Online Monitoring and Process Control at LAG
00-01 State CWEA 2nd Place Research Award, Changing Mesophilic to Thermophilic Operations at TITP
00-01 LA Basin Section Research Achievement, Changing Mesophilic to Thermophilic Operations at TITP
00-01 City of LA Quality and Productivity Award, Aeration Performance at TWRP, LAG, TITP
94-95 State CWEA Research Award, Biosensor Technology for Process Control at TITP
94 Sate WESD Employee of Quarter 3, City of LA Bureau of Sanitation, Overall Performance
94 CLA Bureau of San. Employee for National Public Works Week Award, Safety & Training Programs
93 CLA Bureau of Sanitation Employee of Quarter 2, Safety & Training Programs
93 WSSD Employee of Quarters 1 and 2, City of LA Bureau of Sanitation, Safety & Training Programs
91-03 Several City of LA Certificates of Appreciation
80-84 Dean’s Fellowship Awards, USC
78-84 Teaching, Research Aid Awards, USC